Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Nextgen OPAC Implementation Example

This is a good slide show example of a nextgen OPAC implementation process by the University of Pittsburgh, Voyager to AquaBrowser. http://www.slideshare.net/jeffwisniewski/next-generation-opac-presentation

*I suggest clicking on full screen mode to view.

Notice that slide 12 is a comparison matrix of features, similar to the table on the Nextgen OPAC wiki

New catalog http://pittcatplus.pitt.edu/

Old catalog http://pittcat.pitt.edu/ Has a link to the new catalog and information page about the improved features.

1 comment:

Kona said...

Thanks for finding this example, Derek!

With the whirlwind of possible changes coming up with some of our existing systems and how the activities of our team are related to other teams, I must admit I was getting really bogged down with our timing of selection and how our piece of the puzzle is going to fit in with the other pieces. This example has helped me to move beyond that.

I especially like the Selection Process Lessons page. Specifically, "You're NOT selecting a new ILS so stop acting like you are! Please be agile." This statement helped me realize that I need to focus more on the goals of our team and less on what is unknown at this time.

Another point that this example brought up is the issue of branding. Our current catalog is listed as "Library Catalog" on the library web site and in the OPAC. Later on in the process, it would be beneficial for us to have a name for the NextGen OPAC to help our public service folks and users know which OPAC they are referring to when they are talking to each other; it would fall in line with our university and library branding needs; and would help us advertise and get buy-in when a Next-Gen OPAC has been selected and we are ready to make it available to users. How about something like MAVcat or maybe some sort of contest for staff to come up with a catchy name? Again, just thinking ahead on this, so no need to discuss this now.

I also really liked their library web layout. There was minimal text; the organization of the pages made it easy to navigate and find what I wanted to see; plenty of "white space" and icons made this web site easy on the eyes.